Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team 13 - 20 Llangennech RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
29 September 2019 / Team News

Discipline and What Could Have Been.

Aberystwyth 13 – 20 Llangennech

Aber kicked off with the advantage of a fairly stiff breeze blowing diagonally from the clubhouse end. They had the better of the early exchanges but threw away an opportunity to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty in the Llangennech 22 but following a bit of back-chat the decision was reversed. This unfortunately set the tone for the rest of the game as far as Aber were concerned. Llangennech buoyed by this had a bit of a purple patch and scored three quick tries, none of which were converted. The first was scored by winger Rhys Davies, the second by hooker Mathew Bowen after they moved infield from a line-out and then cut back to the blind side for Bowen to scamper over unopposed. Their third try, which came straight from the kick-off, was a beauty . The ball was fielded on their 22 and passed through five or six pairs of hands before releasing scrum-half George to score a cracking try. Aber regained some composure and scored a neat try of their own when Llyr Thomas put in a delicate grubber through the defence for Mathew Hughes to win the race for the touch-down. Llangennech hit back to score their bonus point try when No 8 Jordon Saunders burst through to make the half-time score 5 – 20. This first half must surely have been the nadir as far as individual and team discipline were concerned for Aber.

They started the second half with a bit more drive and purpose and managed to go through more phases in attack. Aber scored next when winger James Coulton fielded a wayward Llangennech clearance and passed inside to Mathew Hughes who sliced through the defence, passed to the supportin Coulton who barged his way over in the corner. Llangennech seemed to be visibly tiring and Aber kept them under increasing pressure by going through phase after phase. After one good prolonged attack Llangennech conceded a penalty which Llyr Thomas knocked over to secure a losing bonus point for Aber.

There were two young lads making their home debuts for Aber and they both came through with flying colours. Wil Caron Lewis more than held his own in the Aber front row and made some strong carries, while Charles Thomas came on at scrum-half and impressed with his speed to the breakdown and his neat distribution of the ball. Of great concern for the Aber supporters was the lack of team discipline with Llangennech turning the ball over on a number of occasions when Aber were building promising attacks. One cause was the lack of a speedy reaction by support runners when the ball carrier went to ground enabling Llangennech to get their hands on the ball and turn it over. Another problem was ball carriers trying to make miracle passes out of contact causing knock-on’s and turn-overs. They must surely work on ball retention over the next few sessions. Of far greater concern was the complete lack of personal discipline shown by two or three players with their incessant back-chat to the referee. Do they think that they are competent enough to do their own jobs efficiently  and referee the game as well-DISCUSS!!. The referee on about six or seven occasions reversed his decision to award a penalty to Aber in eminently kickable positions because of the comments directed at him. Aber lost the game by seven points, these players need to wake up, wise up and do the maths. They are letting the supporters down, they are letting the coaching staff down but more importantly they are letting their team-mates down.   

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos