08 September 2021 / Club News

2nd Team Start with a Bang

Aberystwyth RFC Athletic   26 –v-  14   Lampeter RFC Seconds

The team for the newly re-formed Aberystwyth Athletic XV showed eleven changes from that which narrowly lost in their inaugural match two weeks earlier. This showed very clearly in the opening phases of this game as Lampeter dominated territorially and retained possession very efficiently.

The visitors showed superior experience and better teamwork as they used their possession well to expose the Athletic’s lack of team understanding and it was entirely with the run of play that they were the first to score. They won a penalty five yards from the Aber line and passed the ball along the line quickly and smoothly for right wing Huw Thomas to score in the corner.  Mark Jenkins added the conversion and the visitors were 0 - 7 ahead.

After a water-break at 20 minutes the Athletic came to life with old hands like scrum half Ifan Thomas and the second row pairing of Dorian Jones and Robbie Parry using their power and experience to lift their young team-mates. Backs and forwards combined beautifully in taking the game to the older Lampeter players and it was entirely with the run of play that Dorian Jones went over near the posts for the home team’s opening try. This was converted by Ifan Thomas and the Athletic were level at 7 – 7.

The home team started the second half in the same way that they had finished the first 40 minutes. Their free flowing rugby showed that their understanding and teamwork were both gelling to enable them to mount a number of attacks. It was Austin Ellis-Jones from full-back who broke the deadlock. He came into the line on the opposition 22 metre line and made a determined tackle-breaking run to score the Athletic’s second try. This was very well converted by Sam Davies and the home side were ahead 14 – 7. The visitors hit back and it took a try-saving tackle from Ellis-Jones to keep them out. 

Lampeter hit back hard gaining more ground and winning more ball. They pressed hard on the home line before repeated infringements by the Athletic earned the visitors a penalty try to draw level at 14 – 14. But the athleticism and tactics of the home side took their toll on the older visitors and youth overcame experience as the Athletic became more dominant. Confidence grew and it was entirely with the run of play that Dyan Davies crossed for the Athletic’s third try to regain the lead at 19 – 14.

The home side continued to use their superior fitness to spread the ball wide and tire their opponents. Brilliant inter-passing between Dorian Jones, Dylan Davies and Luke Davies led to Austin Ellis-Jones’ second try. This was converted by Ifan Thomas to close the scoring at 26 – 14. Team Manager Craig Turner and the club coaches should be very satisfied with the performance of their new team so far. The competition for places, the team-work and understanding, and the blend of youth and experience are all contributing to exciting and entertaining rugby.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments