12 April 2017 / Club News

U12 Dolgellau Festival

Aberystwyth Under U12’s
Bala festival Sunday 9 April 2017
With summer almost open us Aberystwyth travelled to Bala with a small squad depleted though injury, illness and half term for their last away fixture of the season. Conditions were perfect with sunscreen applied during the warm up, a first for the season the boys prepared to face their first opponents a Welshpool/Llanidloes mix team.
Playing 15 minutes each way Aber started brightly, winning the territorial battle. Although it was just before half time before they opened the scoring when Aber went though a few phases which allowed No 8 Osain Bebb Worrall to cross out wide on the right. It was a tough conversion but outside half Oisin Pennant slotted it nicely with his left foot to take the score to 7-0 at half time.
The second half saw the Welshpool/Llanidloes mix team attack more often as they gained confidence. Aber were able to withstand the pressure and were to show both pace and power on the counter attack. It was one of these counters that saw winger Tom Jones or Tom Blues as he is know, affect a turnover and burst down the touch line before being brought down by the full back. He was able to flick a pass away to keep the move going. Not satisfied Tom was back on his feet in a flash and was able to receive the scoring pass on the opposite wing. With the conversion missed the ref blew his whistle for the end of the game with Aber running out 12-0 winners.
The final game was against the host club Bala who had beaten Aber in the last game in Dolgellau when they scored the winning try in time added on. This encounter was eagerly awaited by both players and spectators. As the sun beat down Aber prepared themselves for their second game while this was Bala’s first run out of the day.
Aber started as they had in their first game and it was that man Tom who crossed under posts to open the scoring. Pennant was able to add the extras. This score kick started Bala who went on the offensive scoring two very well worked tries to take the score to 14-7 at half time.
Bala were to score their third try when their No 8 picked up and went on a fine run though a tried looking defence to take the score to 19-7. Aber picked up the pace again with dynamic runs from Owen Jones and Worrall allowed scrum half to feed Pennant who crossed for Aber second try. With the score 14-12 and time ticking away 2nd row K-C went on charge an he spun and stepped the line came into his sights. He was bundled over only for the ref to rule that Bala had held up K-C.
As the scrum was preparing to set the ref said that this was to be the last play. As a tied Aber pack steeled themselves for one last scrum which they won comfortably and this allowed No 8 Worrall to crash over. The conversion was not a given but Pennant very calmly knocked it over to gain Aber a 19-19 all draw.
I’d like to take this opportunity to say Happy Easter to the players and parents. Our next training is Friday 28th and our last game is home on 29th April.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments