23 January 2017 / Club News

Good win over Lampeter by U14s

Aberystwyth U14s v Lampeter U14s – Sunday 22 January 2017
Aberystwyth 15 v Lampeter 5
This was Aberystwyth U14s first outing of 2017, who were somewhat depleted by illness and injury, so it was a credit to the players that they were able to outplay a well organised Llanbed side who had beaten them on their pervious encounter.
The first quarter was littered with handling errors as the players failed to come to terms with a greasy ball in muddy conditions. This first period was where the Aber pack started to gain dominance of their counterparts and, in doing so, were able to break the deadlock following a barnstorming run from centre Iestyn Llyr who was dragged going five meters short, with Josh Cox and Ieuan Morgan picking and driving, it was second row Josh Balla who spun out of the tackle to cross over in the left hand corner.
As you would expect, Llambed pushed hard for their own score, however some smart work from No 8 Ioan Morris saw him intercept a pass and set up a ruck. Live wire scrum half Sam Davies darted though a gap and fed winger Deri Cairns-Howarth who glided past his opposite number, only to be caught by the cover defence. Aber were able to win the ruck and with outside half Owain Jenkins linking with centre Richie Rickets, they were able to free left wing Rhys James who was able to beat the scrabble defence to the corner. Just! 
The second half was a very hard fought affair, which saw Rickets get a yellow card for a team offence of high tackling. It was during this power play which saw Llanbed cross for their only try as Aber ran out of defenders. When Aber gained a penalty in their own half,  they kicked for position as open side Lewis Price was in dominant form in the line out. With the ball won, the backs pushed for Aber’s third score. However they were turned over and the ball was hacked down field. Aber’s full back and birthday boy Ifan Phillips gathered the kick and beat four defenders in a flash. However Llanbed’s scrabble defence had been top class all game and, again, Phillips was dragged down a few metres short. Phillips didn’t panic and was able to pop a pass off the ground to the openside Price who crashed over to from two metres.
I’m pleased to report that Ieuan Morgan, who was whisked off to Bronglais with a neck injury sustained during the last few minutes, was released later that afternoon and we wish him well during his recovery.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments