Yr Hendy RFC | 1st Team 13 - 10 Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
03 March 2019 / Team News

Oh so close again!!

Yr Hendy 13, Aberystwyth RFC 10

Aberystwyth's last three games resulted in bonus point wins, consolidating their Division 1 West league position. Today's game was at Hendy, four positions higher, with a hope of continuing a successful run. A number of regular player absences might have had some effect but it was nice to have coach Ifan Thomas ably step into the fold as replacement scrum half.

On a breezy day the game would be dictated by positional kicking. The first quarter saw both sides making incursions into the opponents halves, but a number of handling errors and offsides resulted in no scores. This included a penalty awarded to Aberystwyth kicked wide from near the half way line. A period of good attacking play saw the visitors camped on Hendy's tryline, but, despite all the pressure, a penalty to the hosts cleared the ball. Opportunity missed. Following this, a penalty for offside in the visitors' half gave them a lineout near the halfway line. The ball was well picked up and passed along allowing hooker Owain Bonsall to break free and run towards the line, only to be thwarted by a tackle and clearance. Then, a penalty awarded to Aberystwyth near the half way for not rolling away, followed by a dissenting discourse with the Referee, brought the play 10m forwards, allowing no. 10 Steffan Rees to win the first points.

There were no further scores in the first half, with both sides kicking to gain position, interrupted by a number of infringements. A period of heavy pressure by Hendy near the visitors line was bravely held off by the Aberystwyth defence.

In the second half, the wind was getting stronger and unpredictable, resulting in a number of changes in fortune and reversals in play. The incoming rain made handling slippery. After ten minutes, an infringement in the ruck allowed Hendy no. 10 Rhidian Morris to even the scores. Despite the conditions, Hendy were gaining confidence, making a number of drives into the opposition half, but met by strong defence. After about thirty minutes, Aberystwyth were in a good attacking position but a miss pass allowed Hendy to gain posession and kick into empty space. This was chased by full back J Newman to chase, kick the ball on and win the touch down. The conversion brought the score to 10:3. Further pressure from Aberystwyth with some good carries, notably from Dan Binks and Tom Evans, but these failed to gain points. After thirty five minutes, a ruck infringement gave Hendy a penalty to extend their lead. It was not until the last few minutes that Aberystwyth were able to reply. In the attack, a couple of nifty passes opened the gate for winger Steffan Rees to run down the line to touch down. Under difficult conditions, Steffan Rees (the other one) was able to convert.

The close-fought game saw a number of phases of promising play from Aberystwyth, strong work in the scrums and mauls, good defence, and a number of scoring opportunities which did not yield points. Maybe luck was not on their side this time.

After a break for the conclusion of the 6 Nations competition, Aberystwyth are next at home to Gowerton on March 23rd.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos