Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team 28 - 20 Whitland RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
18 February 2019 / Team News

Great Rugby and Great Win



What an enthralling, exciting contest we witnessed at Plascrug between two sides who wanted to play rugby. Both teams came into the game with a lot of confidence off the back of some recent impressive victories and they served up a cracker of a game. This was a wonderful advert for Division 1 West Rugby and long may it continue. Both teams had different strengths in attack with Whitland at their most effective with their strong drives and carries down the middle whilst Aber sensed that they could pose more of a threat by moving the ball wide and using their support runners.

Aber scored first when from a scrum on halfway Ian Ellis came off his wing burst through the defensive line and moved the ball on through the backs for left winger Carwyn Evans to cut back inside to score a fine try by the posts. Steff Rees converted easily to lead 7 – 0. Whitland lost their open-side flanker to a yellow card for a no-arms tackle and Aber took full advantage. Off the line-out on the left they moved the ball infields through a couple of phases then moved the ball back left for Tom Kenko Evans with a delightful take and give put Steff Rees over in the corner to lead 12 -0.

Whitland were next to enjoy a purple patch and scored two converted tries to take the lead at 12 – 14. The first try was scored following some powerful drives the pack rumbled over by the posts to score a try converted by influential outside-half Setaro. The next try came with Aber unable to cope with a speculative kick the ball was picked up by centre Chandler who ran strongly to score under the posts and again Setaro converted. Whitland continued to attack and the Aber defence did very well to contain a powerful Whitland drive, turn the ball over and move the ball quickly to Mathew Hughes who made a lovely break but unfortunately hiss pass went to ground with the line open. Aber’s scrummage was beginning to get on top and when Whitland conceded a scrum penalty up stepped Steff Rees to take Aber into a narrow half-time lead at 15 – 14.

The first half had been a hard uncompromising exciting affair with efficient defences forcing some mistakes but both teams playing to their strengths and going all out for the win.

The second half continued in much the same vein and Aber scored next. Flanker Bryn Shepherd, who had a magnificent game, picked up a loose ball after a turn-over and fed Mathew Hughes who sped over from the 10m line to score wide out. Whitland came back strongly and forced Aber back on the defence. During this period of dominance Setaro kicked two penalties to level the score at 20 points each. This stirred Aber into a sense of urgency and camped in the Whitland 22 for the next period. They had a succession of scrums which Whitland did very well to defend but eventually the pressure paid off for Aber when centre Dylan Evans burrowed over to score a bonus point try wide out with under 10 minutes to go. Both teams now went hard to win the game and Aber got slightly the upper hand and worked their way into the Whitland half. It took a touch of magic for Aber to seal the win and importantly deny Whitland a losing bonus point with the referee playing advantage for an Aber penalty Tom Kenco Evans kicked a majestic drop goal from fully 40 meters to end the scoring at 28 – 20 to Aber.

Both teams deserve credit for a highly entertaining full-blooded competitive game with Aber showing great commitment and determination to come out on top.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos