Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team 21 - 29 Felinfoel RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
17 September 2018 / Team News

Close Run Thing

Aberystwyth 21 – 29 Felinfoel

Aber started the game full of intent and took the game to Felinfoel with some effective forward drives showing good ball retention and patience. Felinfoel were forced to concede a number of penalties during the early period and were forced back deep in their 22. Aber again secured possession and following a series of disciplined drives they forced their way over the line but unfortunately were unable to ground the ball. They continued to apply pressure and were eventually rewarded with a penalty which Steff Rees converted to take the lead. Felinfoel responded emphatically when they were awarded a penalty on the Aber 10m line winger Wood took it quickly and with the Aber defence having to back off he waltzed through to score a fine try by the posts which was converted by Roberts. They increased their lead shortly after with a penalty by Roberts before Rees replied with a penalty for a high tackle – an issue which will undoubtedly cause confusion amongst players and spectators alike until we have a standard interpretation Felinfoel increased their lead when they moved the ball across the backs for winger Wood to score in the corner aided by some inept defence by Aber. Steff Rees closed the gap with another penalty but Aber conceded another soft try when after a speculative kick winger Dawe regained possession and ran through to score a try converted by Roberts to make the half-time score 9 -22.

Aber started the second half full of urgency and intent and following a penalty award Carwyn Evans took it quickly and burst through to score a determined individual try. Aber increased the tempo of their game and again took the game to Felinfoel. The backs then conjoured up a lovely try when following a miss-pass in midfield full back Mathew  Hughes burst through the line and gave an inside pass to Dylan Evans to score  under the posts for Steff Rees to convert to bring the score  to 21-22 and game on! Unfortunately for Aber it was Felinfoel who scored next through Wood who completed his hattrick of tries which Roberts converted. This secured a bonus point win for Felinfoel but Aber failed to gain a losing bonus point following a late penalty miss. Aber will feel very disappointed that they failed to get anything out of the game because in general play they more than held their own with some strong carries from amongst others Arwel Lloyd, Tom Evans and Bryn Shepherd but were unable to capitalise on the good work. Man of the match Carwyn Evans carried the ball strongly with some determined bursts and thoroughly deserved his award. Of concern to the Aber coaches will be the occasional lack of ball control when in possession and the obvious defensive frailties. The next home game for Aber will be against Dunvant on October 6th.   



Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos