Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team 17 - 15 Llanelli Wanderers RFC | 1st Team
Arwyn Morgan
1 Try
Richard De Filippo
1 Try
Jonathan George
1 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
05 November 2017 / Team News


Aberystwyth 17 – 15 Llanelli Wanderers

What an exciting full-blooded contest this was with the result being in doubt right up to the final whistle. The Wanderers showed their intent right from the start and following some close drives from their pack they moved the ball quickly across the back line to free up the right winger de Filipo who scored wide out. The try went unconverted. Aber then had to withstand a period of intense pressure which tested their resolute defence and with a couple of good steals by their back row they managed to clear their lines. Aber scored next through their backs with blind side winger Rhodri Richards coming into the line followed by some lovely passing the ball reached full back Mathew Jacob who fended off a would be tackler and powered over to score a fine try. Llyr Thomas converted to make the score 7 – 5. Winger Richards again featured shortly after when he unluckily failed to gather a lovely box kick from scrum half Thomas. Aber extended their lead when outside half Llyr Thomas kicked a penalty to lead 10 – 5. Both teams were full of attacking intent with penalties taken quickly to speed up the game and both defences were stretched on a number of occasions. Wanderers scrum half Sam Weeds was having a fine game probing and testing the Aber defence constantly. Both Aber centres were prominent carrying the ball strongly but Aber failed to capitalise from a lovely break through the middle by Carwyn Evans. Both teams were pleased to hear the half time whistle after a very exciting fully committed physical forty minutes. Both teams had effective line-outs the scrums were fairly even, defences were uncompromising but neutrals felt that Aber had edged it slightly in open play. Wanderers started the second half full of resolve and purpose and after a series down the right centre Rhydian Morgan scampered over for a try which was converted by a fine effort from Jonny George to take the lead at 10 – 12. In the meantime Lee Gower suffered a nasty injury and was stretchered off. The Wanderers were now dominant and kicked frequently to pen Aber back in their own half and exerted a lot of pressure in defence which forced Aber to concede a penalty converted by Jonny George to extend their lead to 10 – 15. Aber stiffened their resolve after this set-back and looked more purposeful in attack and with about five minutes of the game remaining Aber established themselves in the Wanderers 22 with a series of drives which Llanelli did well to repel but following another quickly taken penalty Carwyn Evans burrowed over to score and with fine pressure conversion by Llyr Thomas Aber took the lead at 17 – 15 and saw out the remainder of the game fairly comfortably. This was a full-on physical encounter and how Llanelli Wanderers are bottom of the league beggars belief. The Aber coaches asked their players before kick-off how much did they want to win the game, I think the question was answered emphatically by a committed determined performance in a full-on contest between two teams who were a credit to Div. 1 West rugby.   

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos