Aberystwyth RFC | 1st Team 39 - 8 Tycroes RFC | 1st Team
James Owens
1 Penalty
Dean Bromham
1 Try

Match Report
14 October 2017 / Team News

Great Home Win

Aberystwyth started the game against Tycroes showing a number of changes from last week on a grey but dry day at Plascrug.  The entertainment that was to come wasn’t obvious when James Owens kicked an early penalty for Tycroes.  This seemed to fire Aber in action and they were soon ahead.  Determined running and good handling with virtually every player handling, lead to Robbie Parry crashing over near the post with Llyr Thomas converting.


Strong Aberystwyth scrummaging was disrupting Tycroes’s play and the resulting penalty earned Aber a foothold in Tycroes’s 22.  More strong running from Aber came to result in a Tycroes scrum on the defending 5m line.  Again good work from the forwards pressurised Tycroes at the scrum and Llyr Thomas crossed for the second try.  Unfortunately he wasn’t able to convert because of the crosswind.  Worse still was that Prys Lewis had to leave the field with a calf injury, possibly as a result of his recent exertions in the Cardiff half-marathon.  His replacement Oisin Canney carried on his good work in the scrums.


Lee Gower collected a loose Tycroes kick well and then strong running from Mat Hughes and Steff Rees allowed centre Tom Evans to power over, again the conversion failed into the breeze.  From a lapse in concentration Aberystwyth were penalised and Tycroes hit the post but Aber cleared the rebound well.  Aberystwyth continued to play exciting rugby and the Tycroes scramble defence only just brought them down 5m from the line.


More clever interplay from a scrum inside Tycroes’s 22m line lead to Lee Gower scoring a good try, Llyr Thomas hitting the post with the conversion.  Another feature of the half had been the clever box kicking of Ifan Thomas which put a lot of pressure on the Tycroes defence.  Aber were now showing a lot of good running and handling and following yet more good work from the team centre Carwyn Evans crossed close to the post, which Thomas converted.  The score was 29-3 to Aber at half time.


14 minutes into the second half a rampaging Arwel Lloyd cutting a good line smashed his way over from 15 metres out.  Again good handling from the team created the chance.  Carwyn Evans had to be replaced then by Malcolm Herbert through injury and similarly James Plumbridge by Owain Bonsall which lead to uncontested scrums. Sam Hesden and Mark Evans both came on as well.  Aber continued to play good rugby and after a delicate chip from Matt Hughes, Arwel Lloyd dived on the ball just short of the dead ball line.  When questioned by the referee for waiting so long to dive, Arwel told the referee that he knew what he was doing.


Being so far ahead and with all replacements being used Aber lost a little concentration and allowed Tycroes outside half Dean Bromham to score a consolation try from his own kick ahead, converted by James Owens.  This was a scrappy end to what had been a thoroughly entertaining match and an excellent performance from Aber.  This augurs well for future weeks, unless the injuries continue to mount.  The final score being 39-8.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos